Sunday, June 10, 2007

Elgg Sites

My Elgg research led me to http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/elgg.php. There are many different types of elgg sites, depending on one's needs. Steve O'Hear interviewed the creators of Elgg, Ben Werdmuller and Dave Tosh in this article. They say that Elgg, " is social networking software designed especially for education - built from the ground up to support learning. "

Elgg.Net is really for personal networking. Elgg Spaces is for e-learning. The creator has control over audience and what is being viewed in Elgg sites.

Elgg is designed to differ from a traditional Virtual Learning Environment. That's not to say that VLE has existed long enough to merit being called traditional, but differ nonetheless. Elgg is detailed to compliment the learner, rather that the course content. The creators call it "learning landscapes."

6 comments:

PS108Library said...

Hi Stacy,

I never heard of elgg before you had to discuss this topic. The website you refered us to gave me the background to understand this web 2.0 technology. I like when it said if you combine my space, facebook, flicker and youtube you have elgg. What is even better is that you have control over the site. This is what is needed to work with our students. I would like to see some elgg sites that are educational. I think that would give me an even better grasp of it's use in the classroom.

I went into elgg.net and clicked into some random sites such as Rucku, rugby's first virtual clubhouse and one of the pictures of a female member was quite risky. With all the problems with myspace and youtube being blocked for too explict materials I think this could be a problem with viewing other elgg sites. Any thoughts on the topic?

Gloria said...

Elgg .net is quite an interesting site . What makes it special is that it can be used to support teacghing as well as research. The site offers students a space to speak outside the class setting, and therefore can be used in an imaginative way.On Elgg the user is in control and the use of the site is not dictated by community members. It is more like a personal learning environment. It also has a very straight forward method of publishing.

Stacy said...

To be honest, I don't keep up with myspace and youtube (as perhaps I ought to). If they are being blocked, there must be a real reason for censorship.

If those sites are like del.icio.us, then the materials are technically owned by the site, not the people who post. That was what I read in the agreement I affirmed in my del.icio.us contract; of course, I did this in conjunction with this week's lecture, social bookmarking.

Stacy said...

Thanks Gloria, for the Elgg summary. I'm glad that you are so interested in the sites. Are you enjoying your eduspace?

Anonymous said...

I think Elgg is an excellent way to to host the school as a community of learners. Once run on the school's server, then all students and teachers can be connected in a new and innovative way.
I, too, would like to see an example of an elgg server and see how it is run and how other schools have used it.

Unknown said...

You can visit our custom elgg site, which we modified to suit our needs by Clicking Here . this is an alumni network for medical students of Co-Operative medical college, Cochin. Our intention is to share medical information among the members and to have an alumni database.